Friday, July 1, 2016

A Proper Introduction: By Matthew McCray

        You might be wondering who that guy in the back office at the Summit store is, or perhaps you have been wondering just what it is that he’s doing. The answers to both questions are not easily answered, but like all good things, we’ll start with a proper introduction. To answer the former, “that guy” is me. My name is Matthew McCray. I was born and raised in Corry, PA, not too far from Erie. I went to Edinboro University for my undergraduate degree and for my MA in Social Sciences. I have spent the last decade in Pittsburgh, PA, working in the Workforce Development field. Somewhere along the way, I got my MA in Industrial Organizational Psychology, met my wife (Nicole), started a family, and had probably way too much fun doing all of it. I have been with Goodwill for about a year and a half thus far in my career. It had long been a dream of mine to work for the organization once I learned about our mission in my youth. When I got the chance to do so, of course I took the opportunity. Formerly, I ran a transition program in Pittsburgh to assist youth with disabilities to transition into adulthood and the workforce.
          I know what some of you may be thinking: “What!? Why would anybody want to move to Erie from the bustling metropolis of Pittsburgh!?” Well, the answer to that is simple and begins to answer the latter question that was posed. Being in the Workforce Development field in a major metro area is rewarding, but there are many hands pulling on the rope to coax progress in the right direction. In the Erie area, the same rope has less hands pulling on it, making progress difficult. While I could have done the easy thing in life and stayed where I was, I felt a special calling to return to my home to take the wheel and right the listing ship. I knew my presence and what I can bring to the table would mean more at this Goodwill, and the areas we serve, than it could anywhere else.
           When I had the opportunity to come to this Goodwill, I took it. I packed up my family and all of our belongings into a 26-foot truck, four cars, and a minivan, and moved to the Erie area. So what is it that I am doing here? I am here as the Mission Services Developer to install as many of the 53 Workforce Development programs Goodwill offers as we can.
           These programs serve nearly every conceivable nitch and demographic. We have employment programs for both youth and adults with physical and cognitive disabilities. We also have programs for veterans. There is not a population that we cannot reach once we have built our Workforce Development programs to match what other Goodwills have done across the country. Soon, you will see clients begin to work at our stores from some of the programs we are starting. This is just the first step towards the grand vision that we have laid out. The only way we can achieve our goals, is if we all work together. I have had the pleasure of getting to know many of you here, thus far, and I can tell you that we have a lot of talent and passion in our midst. We will need all of it to get where we want to go.

          So there you have it. Next time you are walking by the office, feel free to stop by and say hello. It will be awesome to get to know everyone that I work with. As the hero Commodore Perry once said “Don’t give up the ship.” With all of the talent we have, and the vision of a brighter economic future for our region, we have no need to.

Above: Matthew McCray, as seen standing second 
from the left, who is our Mission Services Developer.

No comments:

Post a Comment