Sunday, April 1, 2018

Saying Goodbye (To Goodwill): By Harry Corbissero


    I never planned any of this, did you? What I mean is that I never planned to occupy the particular niche in life that I do but, here I am. I wonder if each soul who comes into the existence we share on this earth is preordained to a certain destiny. I don’t believe there is any expert who can answer this question; the only way to brooch it is through the laboratory of our own experience. The inquiry becomes more visible when one attains elder-hood.

    It’s only natural that as one ages he attains a higher perspective. He can more readily see the life he has lived from the vantage point of an overview, those events which have transpired in his life leading up to whatever height he has obtained in his present circumstance. In such a way he can actually fathom where his destiny has brought him thus far.
 It also seems to me that as one attains such an overview as I describe, he can better assess certain defining moments in his life that have functioned to give shape to his destiny, although he was possibly witless to this fact when such events transpired.
My own plan had been to be an artist, an activity which I actually pursued with great diligence for a number of years. Yet, now from my overview, I can more readily grasp, that art for me, was a means to an additional ends, and here I am putting a cap on a career as an instructor of life skills at an area rehabilitation facility. One of my main objectives at  this pursuit, has been teaching people – who may not do so for any number of reasons – to value themselves. As I see it now, this had perhaps been my mission right from the start; to teach people to see themselves as “masterpieces in progress,” utilizing principles that I originally formulated as an artist. But I never knew that back then.
    Possibly, the initial defining moment I am attempting to reflect on here, is one that transpires from the soul dimension, is such exists, prior to our entry onto the earth plane. Maybe our destiny then, is actually cast in the stars, in accord to some master plan in which we all have had a hand. Through we may or may not ever know the veracity of this possibility from the station we presently occupy, perhaps when we return to soul substance, the answer will be made clear.
    I was extremely fortunate to find an agency that embodies these values as a facet of its mission when I started to work at Goodwill thirty years ago. If I didn’t know it way back then, I certainly do now; that constancy has been what has sustained my service here all this while. It will be the very reason to attract others of a similar persuasion to carry on. There will be a lot of new avenues of service yet to come.

(Harry Corbissero’s final contribution to the InFocus newsletter as he retires from Goodwill in April 2018 after 30 years of service.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment