Saturday, April 1, 2017

A Little Support Makes A Big Difference: By Sandi Allison

          Our Lake County Training Center Manager, Rosemary, recounts a story of how little things motivate people we serve.

          One of our participants, who is a kind, creative, single mother motivated to make a better life for herself and her son, had been struggling with drug addiction prior to her pregnancy and ended up with a criminal conviction that landed her incarcerated. Rosemary reached out to her, writing her a supportive letter while she was in jail. The participant sent a return letter and said, “I’d like to thank you for reaching out to me the way you did. It means a lot to know I still have people wanting to help.” She then said, “I would like you to visit after I am transferred because I’ll be able to wear my own clothing and it won’t be behind bars.”


          Rosemary tells us, “Those words reinforced my belief that supporting our participants, even if it must be done remotely, is critical to their morale, their motivation, and ultimately to their success.”

No comments:

Post a Comment